Past Presentations, Workshops and Courses
It has been a privilege and a joy to share the Authors in the Classroom Process in multiple settings throughout the world.
While we have not kept a record of the times and places where we have presented this transformative process, we are mentioning here a few. If you have been a participant in our presentations, please feel free to send us additional information that can be added here.
I. Graduate University Course
· University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
For several years during the 1990s and the 2000s Authors in the Classroom was offered as a graduate course with the title Unveiling the Author Within for doctoral students taught by Alma Flor Ada. Besides participating enthusiastically in the course several students decided to research the effectiveness of the process. Their work can be found in the list of dissertations.
· Fundación José Ortega y Gasset, Madrid, Spain
Authors in the Classroom was offered as a graduate course during two summers at the prestigious Fundación José Ortega y Gasset in Madrid.
· St. Thomas University, Houston, TX
Teachers, Parents and Children as Authors was an integral part of the course on Children’s Literature in Spanish offered during the summers of 1991 and 1992 by Alma Flor Ada at St. Thomas University in Houston, TX.
· University of Texas, El Paso, TX
Teachers, Parents and Children as Authors was an integral part of the course on Children’s Literature in Spanish offered during two summers by Alma Flor Ada at University of Texas at El Paso, as well as a course for teachers from El Salvador in 1991.
· Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Teachers, Parents and Children as Authors was an integral part of the course on Children’s Literature in Spanish offered during the summers of 1989, 1990, 1991 by Alma Flor Ada at Universidad Complutense.
II. A Year Long Course offered at School District Sites
· Sunnyslope Elementary School, Phoenix, AZ
During the whole academic year 1999-2000, F. Isabel Campoy and Alma Flor Ada presented Authors in the Classroom as a course with monthly workshops.
· Project M.O.R.E. Family Literacy Training – Los Angeles, CA
Through Project more Authors in the Classroom was provided as Trainer of Trainers for twoyears (1998-2000) in multiple locations of Los Angeles Unified School District.
· Santa Ana, School District 1998
· San Francisco Unified School District – Language Arts Academy – four years 1997-2001
· Gardner Academy – San José, CA 1998
· Brooklyn School District, 1999-2000
III. Workshops and Training of Trainers
· Miami Dade School District
One of the earliest Authors workshops took place in Miami Dade County Schools in 1997.
The participants in this one week long workshop were an extraordinary group of bilingual educators. Both teachers and administrators were very enthusiastic of the process and implemented it in the schools with great impact. They took it to a next level and created their own writing group to continue creating and publishing books. Some of the distinguished participants were: Lourdes Rovira, Toni de Miranda.
· West Palm Beach
· Americorps, Oakland, CA – 1999, 2001
· LA’s Best Program – Los Angeles, CA 2010 – on going
The LA Best Program, under the direction of Stella Olivera, who had participated in a summer course on Authors in the Classroom at the Fundación José Ortega y Gassett en Madrid, Spain, adopted the program to become one of the offerings for the LA Best After School Enrichment Program LA Best. We conducted an original Training of Trainers in August 3 to 7, 2010.
The program has been a complete success and has been continued for xxx years, in xxx schools, reaching xxx children participants.
· Anahaim, CA – California Elementary Education Association – 1999, March 4, 2002
· Buena Park, CA – California Elementary Education Association – 1999
· Los Angeles, CA – California Elementary Education Association – 1999
· Monterey, CA -University of California – 1998
· Ontario, CA – California Elementary Education Association – 1999, March 5, 2002
· San Diego, CA – California Elementary Education Association – May 1997, 1999, 2000, March 6, 2002
· San Francisco State University – Chinese Teacher Institute – Innovative Teaching in Chinese – [several presentations] – 2010
· Sacramento, CA – California Elementary Education Association – 1999, 2000
· San Mateo, CA – California Elementary Education Association – 1999
· South San Francisco, CA – California Elementary Education Association – 2000
· Denver, CO – Staff Development Resources – December 3, 2002
· Oak Lawn, IL – California Elementary Education Association – 1999
· Boston,MA – California Elementary Education Association – 1999
· San Benito, NM – 2000
· Multiple sessions training were conducted in 2000-2001 in several places in the state:
BETAC Center, Bronx, 2000
BETAC CENTER, Long Island, 2001
BETAC CENTER, New York City, 2001
BETAC CENTER, Rochester, NY
BETAC CENTER, Troy, 2001
The New York State Education Department Office of Bilingual Education provided training in Authors in the Classroom for all area supervisors of the State of New York. These trainings took place in 2000 in several places in the state: Albany, the Bronx, Brooklyn , Manhattan, Rochester, Schenectady, Troy.
· New York City – Hunter College – ELL Childhood Academy – June 12, 2010
· Alamo Reading Council, Alamo – April 3, 2009
· Dallas Independent School District , – 1999
· El Paso Independent School District – 1992
· Gadsen Independent School District – February 8-10, 2001
· Houston, TX – California Elementary Education Association – 1999
· Laredo Independent School District – 1997
· McAllen, Independent School District – 1997
· San Antonio, TX – California Elementary Education Association – 1999
· Portland – Staff development Resources – December 5, 2002
· Puerto Rico
· San Juan, Department of Public Instruction
· San Juan, Catholic Schools
· Seattle – Staff development Resources – December 4, 2002
IV. Presentations outside of the United States
xxxx– through the Soros Foundation
· Winipeg, Manitoba
· Seminario Soñar y Crear, Universidad de Heredia – sponsored through the OAS
· Prague – through the Soros Foundation
· Budapest– through the Soros Foundation 1999 and 2000
· Teotitlán del Valle, Oaxaca
· Amsterdam – Congress of the Association of International Schools, 2014
Northern Mariana Islands
State and National Conferences
· 1995 NABE National Association of Bilingual Education. Phoenix, AZ
· 1997 CABE California Association for Bilingual Education
· 1998 CABE California Association for Bilingual Education
· 1999 Feria Internacional del Libro, Guadalajara, Mexico
· 1999 CABE California Association for Bilingual Education
· 2000 NABE National Association of Bilingual Education
· 2000 CABE California Association for Bilingual Education
· 2000 IRA International Reading Association, Guam
· 2001 CABE California Association for Bilingual Education
· 2001 SABE New York Association for Bilingual Education
· 2001 TESOL National Association of Teacher for Speakers of Other Languages
· 2011 WABE Washington Education for Bilingual Education
Sponsored by Harcourt Brace Publishers
February 12, 2005
V. Family Literacy Projects
The process that has been later codified as Authors in the Classroom had its beginnings in a series of Family Literacy Projects conducted by Alma Flor Ada in numerous sites, particularly in California and Texas.
California Family Literacy Projects
· Migrant Education Program, Pájaro Valley School District
· Glassbrook School, Hayward
· Bilingual Program, Santa Barbara School District
· Buenavista School, San Francisco Unified School District
· Marshall School, San Francisco Unified School District
· Montebello School District
· Ocean Side School District
· Even Start Program, Windsor Elementary School, Windsor, CA 1991
Presentations and trainings were also conducted in the following school districts:
· In California:
ABC School District, Alum Rock, Bakersfield, Calexico, Fresno, Kerman, Oxnard, Salinas, San Diego County (particularly Migrant Education Region IX), San Ysidro, San Mateo County, Santa Ana, Watsonville, Willits
· In Texas:
Austin, Brownsville, Dallas, Laredo, Pharr-San Juan-Alamo and San Antonio.